Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The continuing adventures...

Another Marla Mason book down. Now, all I need to do is find the first one and I'll be all set.

This one pitted Marla against, believe it or not, Death. The thing I love about urban fantasy books is that they always tend to center on some epic ass-kicker who can take on any force of nature... or supernature. Who'd have thunk that included Death?!?

I do have to admit, though, that these types of books are becoming a bit cliche. They all seem to follow the same type of pattern, it's just taken me a bit to recognize it because it's a somewhat newish pattern.

Okay, so there's nothing new about it. It's the same old pattern draped in a new cloth. There's a series about a private eye who inhabits a secret realm hidden in the middle of London. He's kind of the resident ass-kicker there. For some reason, the name of the series and author is escaping me.

Anyway, these books could be just an extension of those, with a female ass-kicker instead of a male one.

I'm not complaining, though. It was a fairly decent read. Just a bit cookie-cutter for me.

As for my next literary conquest, I am going to actually get to cross a complete item off my list. I am going to be reading Principles of Orchestration, by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov. That would count as my non-fiction book, would it not?

I'm really hankering to do something grand and exciting, though, to cross some more items off the list.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment